Citizen-led Community Districting For Ohio
Our Unity Maps are complete!
The OCRC has three goals:
- Model a thorough and robust engagement process.
- Develop and demonstrate citizen-derived principles of redistricting.
- Draw unity maps based on community input and feedback to be submitted as testimony to the state’s official redistricting commission.
About the Ohio Citizens’ Redistricting Commission
The Ohio Citizens’ Redistricting Commission (OCRC) is an independent, nonpartisan commission made up of 15 volunteer members. Commission members include academics, former elected officials, community representatives, and other individual citizens from across the state.
The commission’s work includes:
- Hosting public hearings for community input
- Collecting publicly available data for map-making
- Supporting public education on redistricting.
This commission’s work will culminate in a report containing recommendations and unity maps based on the testimony and community maps we gather from citizens across the state, which we shall then submit as public testimony in Ohio’s official redistricting process.
The Commission is co-sponsored by the Ohio Organizing Collaborative (OOC), Ohio Chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), and the A. Philip Randolph Institute (APRI) of Ohio. The Commission will partner with the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at The Ohio State University and MGGG Redistricting Lab at Tufts University for data collection, analysis and community mapping.
Meet The Ohio Citizens’ Redistricting Commission
- Alan Bannister, Ohio political professional, former Ohio statewide political director for Joe Biden
- Amina Barhumi, Outreach Director at CAIR Ohio
- Jeremy Blake, Newark City Council member, Equality Ohio board member
- Jeniece Brock, (OCRC Vice Chair) - Health Scientist, Policy & Advocacy Director for the Ohio Organizing
- Dr. Ellen Greene Bush, Community Member
- Akii Butler, Student Organizer at Ohio Student Association
- Kathleen Clyde, (OCRC Co-Chair) - Former State Rep, Former Candidate for Sec. State
- Sam Gresham, Chair of Common Cause Ohio
- Dr. Richard Gunther, Professor Emeritus, Ohio State University
- Gregory Moore, (OCRC Co-Chair) - President & CEO of Promise for Democracy
- Dr. Lis Regula, Lecturer, University of Dayton
- Tom Roberts, Ohio Conference of the NAACP & former State Senator
- Katy Shanahan, All On The Line Ohio State Director
- Barbara A. Sykes, President & CEO of Ohio Legislative Black Caucus Foundation
- Chris Tavenor, Staff Attorney, OEC Law Center
- André Washington, President of the A. Philip Randolph Institute (APRI) Ohio Chapter
Commission Selection Process
Commission members are selected through an application or referral process. There is no requirement for existing familiarity with redistricting. We desire a wide range of background knowledge on the topic.